URSUS help Topics
Requesting Materials from URSUS Libraries - FAQ
- What is the Request Function?
- Who is eligible to use the Request Function?
- How can I request a book through the URSUS catalog?
- What if an item is checked out (status "DUE [date]")?
- Further Information
1. What is the Request Function?
The URSUS online request function allows registered borrowers to request books with a status of "available" from University of Maine System libraries and the Maine State libraries. Requested materials are delivered to the campus, center, or site the borrower specifies.
2. Who is eligible to use the Request Function?
UMS faculty, staff and registered students may use the online request function.
Patrons who obtain a library courtesy, alumni or a corporate borrower card from a UMS campus library may also use the online request function, and must pick up materials at the campus library which issued their card. Borrower restrictions may apply. Check with the campus library staff that issued the courtesy card.
3. How can I request a book through the URSUS catalog?
Search URSUS and locate the book you need. If the book you want is displaying a status of "available," then select the Request button. If the book is displaying a due date, see "What if an item is checked out (status "DUE [date]")?" below. You will be prompted for the information required to get the book to you.
- Type your name, barcode number, and pick-up location into the online form. Be sure to enter your barcode number with no spaces.
- Click on the button Submit with above information.
- If the book is available at more than one location you must select the volume you want. Choose the nearest library for the fastest delivery.
- Click on the Request selected item button. You will receive a message confirming that your request for this item has been sent to the library.
- Your request will be answered by the lending library and the book will be sent to the campus library, center, or site you selected. If the lending library is unable to send the book they will notify you.
If the book you want is not from your own library or campus location, you must place an Interlibrary Loan request for the book at your local library or remote center. If the book you want IS from your own library, check with the circulation desk at your library to place a recall on the book. The recall process cannot be done online at this time. You will be notified by mail when the item is available. It will be held for you for 10 days.
If you are not an URSUS-affiliated cardholder (e.g. you are browsing the URSUS catalog from out-of-state or from a non-URSUS library in-state), but see something in the URSUS catalog that is of interest, you should place an Interlibrary Loan request for the item at your local school, public, or academic library.
5. Further Information:
- If you return books late, you will receive overdue notices / invoices from the lending library.
- Items not available through URSUS can be requested through the Interlibrary Loan Department at your campus library. Distance students may contact Off-Campus Library Services. (link: http://www.learn.maine.edu/ocls/)
If you need a book that is checked out or missing, check with Circulation
staff at your campus library.
|Mariner | Help | Ask a Librarian | Telnet | Home| User Services | Featured Lists | Other Catalogs|
|©University of Maine System Libraries. All rights reserved.|